To work in the UK as a medical or health professional you will be required to hold a valid and up to date registration and/or licence to practice. This is applicable to all candidates Resource Finder work with:

Should you wish to work in the UK, it is mandatory to hold the necessary registration by law.

Resource Finder can offer guidance and assistance during the process which candidates are required to undertake to gain the necessary registration(s).

You should be aware of the following information:

Doctors: GMC registration General Medical Council

  • If you currently do not have a registration Ask
  • If you currently do not have a registration and wish to apply and your primary medical qualification was obtained in the EU and you are EU national:

    Please view:

    If you currently do not have a registration and wish to apply and your primary medical qualification was obtained outside of the EU and you are non EU national:

    Please view:

  • If you have a provisional GMC registration Ask
  • If you have previously held a GMC registration and want to get it back Ask
  • It’s relatively straightforward to get your registration or licence back. For both, you have to provide the same evidence; statements from the organisations you have most recently provided medical services to and certificates of good standing from any other regulators you’ve been registered with in the past five years.

    The GMC might ask you to attend an identity check too but they’ll let you know about this once they have granted your application, and you are registered with a licence to practise.

    If your licence was withdrawn because you failed to engage with revalidation, you’ll also have to provide the information the GMC asked you for about your revalidation before they will grant your licence.

  • PLAB = Professional and Linguistic Assessments Board Ask
  • The PLAB test is the main route by which International Medical Graduates (IMGs) demonstrate that they have the necessary skills and knowledge to practise medicine in the UK.

    The PLAB typically applies to non-EU members or doctors with a non-EU primary medical qualification.

    If you want to know if you are required to complete PLAB:

    Where you can undertake the PLAB:

  • Joining the Specialist Register Ask
  • The Specialist Register (a register of doctors who are eligible for appointment as substantive, fixed term or honorary consultants in the health service in the UK) is for all doctors taking up a post as a substantive, fixed term or honorary consultant in the health service in the UK, and consequently are required to be on the Specialist Register.

    Doctors need to apply for entry onto the Specialist Register and meet the criteria set down in legislation. Some will have completed a period of formal specialist training in the UK certified by the GMC. Others will have been awarded qualifications in specialised medicine by an appropriate competent authority in other Member States of the European Economic Area. Others still will have been found eligible by the GMC, following an assessment of the specialist training undertaken and/or the specialist qualifications awarded in the UK or elsewhere.

    If you wish to or are required to gain a specialist registration, please view:

  • Joining the GP Register Ask
  • If you wish to work in the UK as General Practitioner (GP), also known overseas as a family doctor, you will need to be gain entry onto the GP Register. However, in order to gain entry onto the GP register, you will need to meet the minimum requirements by the GMC.

    Please view:

Nurses: NMC registration – Nursing and Midwifery Council

The Nursing and Midwifery Council regulate nurses and midwives in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. They exist to protect the public. They set standards of education, training, conduct and performance so that nurses and midwives can deliver high quality healthcare throughout their careers.

The Nursing and Midwifery Council make sure that nurses and midwives keep their skills and knowledge up to date and uphold our professional standards. They have clear and transparent processes to investigate nurses and midwives who fall short of our standards. They maintain a register of nurses and midwives allowed to practise in the UK.

AHP: HCPC registration – health & care professions council

The health & care professions council are a regulator, and they were set up to protect the public. To do this, they keep a register of health and care professionals who meet the required standards for their training, professional skills, behaviour and health.

The HCPC currently regulate the following professions: arts therapists, biomedical scientists, chiropodists / podiatrists, clinical scientists, dietitians, hearing aid dispensers, occupational therapists, operating department practitioners, orthoptists, paramedics, physiotherapists, practitioner psychologists, prosthetists / orthotists, radiographers, social workers in England and speech and language therapists.

All of these professions have at least one professional title that is protected by law, including those shown above. This means, for example, that anyone using the titles 'physiotherapist' or 'dietitian' must be registered with the HCPC.

If you require to join and/or renew a HCPC registration, please view:

Make an Application

Apply Now